It is not football season yet, but the New Mexico football program is already working on their fresh start and trying to bring new energy. Here is a recap of the start of 2020 and recruiting updates.
Rocky Long is back
New Mexico head coach Danny Gonzales officially announced on Jan. 27 that Long would be joining his coaching staff as Defensive Coordinator. As a former head coach and player, Long is by no means a stranger to UNM. Long also knows Gonzales quite well. He was not only his coach, they have also been part of the same coaching staff.
Long stepped down as the San Diego State football head coach earlier in January.
- Second-winningest coach in SDSU history (81-38, .681)
- Led the Aztecs to three Mountain West titles in nine seasons
Click here for GoLobos.com press release.
Let’s take a deeper look at the career of Lobo defensive coordinator Rocky Long! #GoLobos pic.twitter.com/gMjjPlj0qd
— New Mexico Football (@UNMLoboFB) January 27, 2020
The team had lots of spots to fill and the coaching staff has wasted no time. Here are some of the latest players to join the cherry and silver.
- Keith Alvarado 6’1″ 240lbs DL Eldorado High School, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Jermaques Bailey 6’6″ 310lbs OL Atascocita High School, Humble, Texas.
- OJ Bartley 6’2″ 265lbs DL Edison High School, Stockton, Calif.
- Gregory Brown 6’3″ 285lbs OL Shadow Creek High School, Pearland, Texas
- Dawson Burton 6’1″ 205lbs DB La Cueva High School, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Tavian Combs 6’2″ 190lbs WR Randall High School, Amarillo, Texas
- Ryan Cosper 6’3″ 200lbs WR/FS Hope Christian High School, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Ben Davis 6’4″ 275lbs OL Minnesota, graduate transfer.
- Isaak Gutierrez 6’2″ 315lbs OL Butte College, Calif.
- Conner Kinslow 6’5″ 230lbs TE Topkins High School, Katy, Texas.
- Elijah Lash 6’3″ 245lbs LB Las Lomas High School, Walnut Creek, Calif.
- Ray Leutele 5’11” 215lbs LB Mater Dei High School Santa Ana California.
- Darius McCray 5’11” 190bs RB Washington Union High School Fresno, Calif.
- Quinn Potts 6’1″205lbs LB/S Domingues High School, Compton, Calif.
- Elijah Queen 6’4″ 170lbs Narbonne High School, Harbor City, Calif.
- Bryce Santana 6’3″250lbs DL Los Lunas High School, Los Lunas, New Mexico.
- Ian Shewell 6’3″ 250lb DL Williams Field High School, Gilbert, Ariz.
- Semaj Sims 6’0″ 195lbs LB McClymonds High School, Oakland, Calif
- Jace Taylor 6’5″ 200lbs WR Lake Havasu High School, Lake Havasu City, Ariz.
- Bobby Wooden 6’0″ 185lbs RB Dawson High School, Pearland, Texas.
The program will be celebrating National Signing Day on Wednesday Feb. 5 at BJ’s Brewhouse Uptown (2100 Louisiana Blvd NE) from 5pm-7pm. Gonzales will be speaking about the recruiting class and the coaching staff will do a meet and greet.
Aaron Blackwell gone
The 6’3″ 278lbs player thanked New Mexico for the last three seasons and is now at the University of Arizona.
Saga Tuitele now at Army
Tuitele was the only remaining staff member from the previous season. He has now taken the offensive line coaching job at Army, where he was part of the staff for the 2007 and 2008 seasons.
Jason Sanders receives award
Former Lobo kicker Jason Sanders received the Bridgstone Clutch Performance Play of the Year award along with current Miami Dolphins teammate Matt Haack on Feb. 1. They earned the award for their “Mountaineer Shot”when Haack, a punter, threw a touchdown pass to Sanders.