Clear all

Thoughts on Lobotalk

33 Posts
19 Users
65 Likes
NOTRichardPitino
(@notrichardpitino)
Topic starter

Aside from the audio quality sounding like shit, I feel optimistic in my takeaway. Pitino seems to be very appreciative of the fan base and is experiencing The Pit at it’s best. Sounds like he plans on building for the future and winning here. 

What are your takeaways from the interview? 

Posted : January 24, 2023 8:22 pm
Lobodawg92 reacted
Lobodawg92
(@lobodawg92)
Illustrious Member

He's obviously wanting to build more length into his teams. I love the guys we have, and the one piece you never really know what your going to get is chemistry, and this one he has is great imo.  It sounded like he was kinda trying to make us realize we've made great strides, but still have a long way to go.  Asking for support from all angles to build this thing!

Posted : January 24, 2023 8:53 pm
Boogie, howler, abqpianist and 3 people reacted
JulieG
(@julieg)
Illustrious Member Admin Registered

I think and most will agree with me that He took the best talent he could find last year, then did it again this year. The difference in the future may be that the kids in the Portal and in HS, like Toppin know that this is a Basketball school again and with the pit and the fan support will look at this is a place to come to. The two redshirts have height and will a good year of eating to be in good shape for next year. The returning players will have more experience and hopefully by fall more muscle. We certainly will be different, but I think be really successful then, too!

Posted : January 24, 2023 10:58 pm
Doublealum, Boogie, Lobodawg92 and 5 people reacted
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @julieg

I think and most will agree with me that He took the best talent he could find last year, then did it again this year. The difference in the future may be that the kids in the Portal and in HS, like Toppin know that this is a Basketball school again and with the pit and the fan support will look at this is a place to come to.

What we are seeing so far, with the guys that are still here this year, RP is recruiting hard working, no nonsense types guys.  He doesn't bring in the "all about me" type players that we routinely saw with Weir.  Toppin appears to be this type of player as well and seems like a Udeze type, hard working, physical, ready to get better each day.

When you start with that foundation, you've got a pretty good chance to be good.

Posted : January 25, 2023 7:39 am
Boogie, Lobodawg92, abqpianist and 2 people reacted
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

What is particularly impressive when you think about it is that in Alford’s first season at UNM he had the benefit of inheriting the following players:

JR Giddens 

Roman Martinez

Daniel Faris

Chad Toppert

Darren Prentice

Jamaal Smith

In his second season he lost Giddens, Smith and Prentice each who exhausted their eligibility, but he picked up a key addition in Tony Danridge who was on medical redshirt the prior season.

Contrast that to Pitino who inherited:

Javonte Johnson

S Singleton - missed 1st 5 games due to heart

E Kuac - Only played 6 games due to injuries 

Jeremiah Francis - Only appeared in 12 games

He also had Jordan Arroyo a walk on who was forced into action at the end of the season due to a depleted roster.

Clearly, if you compare what Pitino has accomplished his 1st two seasons versus Alford, it is clear who has done more using his own resources.

Posted : January 25, 2023 4:37 pm
Scott, KenH, Jack Neison and 7 people reacted
boingee
(@boingee)

@digital-lobo I know we're still enjoying this season's run but next season I'm worried about the roster.

Posted : January 25, 2023 4:47 pm
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

@boingee 

I try not too worry too much about things I have no control over. However, if it’s of any help, I do have trust and confidence in Pitino that he well keep doing well with what he has. I think that is a great head basketball coach:

Posted : January 25, 2023 6:06 pm
ComeOnNow
(@comeonnow)
Famed Member

Pitino has made UNM a desirable destination for the upcoming portal merry-go-round. I think he nets a couple of long-wingspan, strong, and experienced high impact players. He already pulled it off this season with Udeze and Allick, and that's after a season where most of the country was, "Lobos? Who are they?" I believe it goes up from here.

Posted : January 25, 2023 6:21 pm
Boogie, howler, Servehim and 5 people reacted
AustinTLobo
(@austintlobo)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @boingee

@digital-lobo I know we're still enjoying this season's run but next season I'm worried about the roster.

As I recall, when the season ended last year, it was obvious to all that the Lobos needed an inside presence to complement their guard combo.  I also recall (I'm not speaking specifically of @digital-lobo) that many Lobo fans, self-included, were concerned that as time passed, those big men might not be available.   That turned out to be nothing at all to worry about with the additions of Udeze and Allick.  For me that was lessened learned.  Pitino and his staff know what they are doing so I fully expect the Lobos to be near the top of the MWC (with post-season) for as long as Pitino is here, with good fan support obviously, but support which travels well and which was barley revealed to Pitino much last season.   I believe that once Pitino sees PIT-West in all its glory this year in Vegas, he will know that New Mexico is where needs to be to build his own basketball legacy (IMO).  Enjoy, Go Lobos!

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by AustinTLobo

Posted : January 25, 2023 8:37 pm
JulieG, Boogie, pitwolfNM and 5 people reacted
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @boingee

What, you worry??

Q: Any chance of any remaining eligibility for House, Allick, and Udeze for next year?

A: Morris Udeze is the only player on the Lobos roster without eligibility for next season. The extra season of eligibility due to COVID-19 allows all other Lobos to come back if they so choose.

The one to watch is House, who has been open to pursuing the next chapter – a professional career. But I expect all primary rotation players other than Udeze and possibly House to be a Lobo next season.

https://www.abqjournal.com/2567745/mailbag-lineup-tweak-wouldnt-be-advisable.html

Posted : January 26, 2023 8:50 am
Hoops
(@hoops)
Noble Member

Posted by: @digital-lobo

What is particularly impressive when you think about it is that in Alford’s first season at UNM he had the benefit of inheriting the following players:

JR Giddens 

Roman Martinez

Daniel Faris

Chad Toppert

Darren Prentice

Jamaal Smith

In his second season he lost Giddens, Smith and Prentice each who exhausted their eligibility, but he picked up a key addition in Tony Danridge who was on medical redshirt the prior season.

Contrast that to Pitino who inherited:

Javonte Johnson

S Singleton - missed 1st 5 games due to heart

E Kuac - Only played 6 games due to injuries 

Jeremiah Francis - Only appeared in 12 games

He also had Jordan Arroyo a walk on who was forced into action at the end of the season due to a depleted roster.

Clearly, if you compare what Pitino has accomplished his 1st two seasons versus Alford, it is clear who has done more using his own resources.

Why compare?

Posted : January 26, 2023 9:38 am
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

@hoops 

Why not compare? Is there some unwritten rule against it that I missed?

Besides I have seen you do it yourself.

Posted : January 26, 2023 9:45 am
AustinTLobo reacted
JulieG
(@julieg)

@digital-lobo  I agree House could be back, but I think he dips his toe into leaving as last year. I figure the odds are more against staying, but there is value for him in coming back. He has the same issue he had in College basketball, which was perception not reality, height. I would love to see him back. Not sure about Kuac since the last injury was really debilitating, time will tell on that front. We have one excellent freshman coming in who could be a starter, Jayden Toppin. So we should have at least three openings. If House leaves, one should be a Point, one should be a big and one whatever the best we can get. That is next year, this is this year so I will not worry about that until after the season.

Posted : January 26, 2023 11:57 am
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

@julieg 

I agree with you about being more focused on this season. That said no harm in looking ahead. 👀 

Coach P recently stated that Kuac had already used a medical hardship last season so he is done at UNM. I’m assuming there’s no way around that, but Weir mysteriously managed to pull off an extra year for Anthony Mathis which AM gratefully took with him to Oregon so never say never I suppose.

As for House, I really, really hope he returns for another season. Maybe he will, but possibly more likely that he won’t.

Posted : January 26, 2023 1:36 pm
TheLoboMan
(@TheLoboMan)
Famed Member

Posted by: @comeonnow

Pitino has made UNM a desirable destination for the upcoming portal merry-go-round. I think he nets a couple of long-wingspan, strong, and experienced high impact players. He already pulled it off this season with Udeze and Allick, and that's after a season where most of the country was, "Lobos? Who are they?" I believe it goes up from here.

He sort of has made UNM a destination. Problem is can we pay enough to get the right players here. 

Posted : January 26, 2023 2:48 pm
JulieG
(@julieg)

Kuac is listed as a Junior this year, so if eligibility is runs correctly then he has two years left, his senior year next year and his Covid year the year after. However, I have no experience in figuring eligibility out other than what appears to be obvious:-) I also have no idea how long the Covid year is available. Of course, how long he wants to wait to get on with his life counts in there sometime.

Posted : January 26, 2023 2:49 pm
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @TheLoboMan

He sort of has made UNM a destination. Problem is can we pay enough to get the right players here. 

I think that we can if enough of us contribute to the 505 Sports Venture Foundation NIL fund.

I’m doing it on a recurring monthly basis. Who else is in?

Crickets need not respond. 

🦗

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Digital Lobo

Posted : January 26, 2023 4:30 pm
BrutusXXX
(@brutusxxx)
Illustrious Member

Kuac will probably get on with his life outside of basketball. Reality is at times hard to take! I just can’t see him coming back from that shattered leg to be a viable player at the D1 level. I don’t believe it was thought he could or would be a heavy contributor this season. 

That said, I believe Pitino will add an experienced BIG, a big guard that can score and defend, and a PG, if House decides to leave. We bring up House, but Mashburn is also piling up numbers and accolades. Lobos may make some noise in the Tournament and both may decide to leave while they are hot! Both want the NBA! They fight an uphill battle being so short. I hope we see them there. We have no idea yet what next year’s roster will look like. For all we know Dent and Jenkins may be the starting back court next season. 

Posted : January 26, 2023 4:54 pm
txlobo95 reacted
crazylobo12
(@crazylobo12)

We would be really good next year if House stays, we add a starting center, a transfer wing who plays lock down D, another big for depth, and Tru Washington.

Posted : January 26, 2023 5:54 pm
brooklyn_esq
(@brooklyn_esq)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @digital-lobo

Posted by: @TheLoboMan

I think that we can if enough of us contribute to the 505 Sports Venture Foundation NIL fund.

I’m doing it on a recurring monthly basis. Who else is in?

Crickets need not respond. 

🦗

Good try! 

Posted : January 26, 2023 9:40 pm
Altakaia
(@altakaia)
Noble Member

Posted by: @brutusxxx

Kuac will probably get on with his life outside of basketball. Reality is at times hard to take! I just can’t see him coming back from that shattered leg to be a viable player at the D1 level. I don’t believe it was thought he could or would be a heavy contributor this season. 

That said, I believe Pitino will add an experienced BIG, a big guard that can score and defend, and a PG, if House decides to leave. We bring up House, but Mashburn is also piling up numbers and accolades. Lobos may make some noise in the Tournament and both may decide to leave while they are hot! Both want the NBA! They fight an uphill battle being so short. I hope we see them there. We have no idea yet what next year’s roster will look like. For all we know Dent and Jenkins may be the starting back court next season. 

Am rooting for both House and Mashburn to make it to the NBA. If they lead our team to the NCAA Final-4 this season, and thus get at least 5 NCAA Tournament games of national exposure, then good chance they get drafted in June. But I agree their short size may prohibit that no matter how well they perform this March/April. The NBA will love Mash's mid range game, but he will be guarded by taller players. So hard to say what the NBA's evaluation of him will be. No problem with Dent & Jenkins being the starting backcourt next season. It would probably take a very talented big guard out of the transfer portal to beat Jenkins out for the 2 spot. At this point, I wouldn't expect Webb or Appelhans to beat out Jenkins either, but Pitino does want to get bigger at guard so we shall see.

Posted : January 26, 2023 10:54 pm
BrutusXXX reacted
BrutusXXX
(@brutusxxx)
Illustrious Member

Regarding a BIG Guard ….

I think it’s the 3rd guard where Pitino looks for an upgrade. An athletic guard that will shoot the ball and hit his shot, while providing great defense besides! It’s a weakness, a handicap, that has to be addressed for Lobos to continue to get better and compete with the better BB programs.

Also ….

Firmly believe, Allick needs to shoot and hit his 3pt shot if Lobos are to get far in NCAA Tournament. 

Posted : January 27, 2023 8:17 am
basketball4all
(@basketball4all)
Estimable Member

My Roster prediction next year is 

Jenkins, Applehans,Dent,House,Webb,JJ,Safi,Mac,Forsling, Seck, Allick Toppin, Tru, and maybe a Josiah's little brother.

My Prediction Starting 5 

House - PG  Dent - Pg/sg   Applehans or JJ - Sg/SF   Josiah Allick and PF  and Seck at Center 

I see Mashburn Jr testing NBA waters this year just only because of his awards and props getting given to him on National TV, I would like to see House as a Pro maybe not in the NBA but a Pro somewhere... he's a scorer and a defense machine but he knows being a LOBO may be as good as it gets IMO. If he does leave we have Donny who will be a great great replacement a good passer and shot blocker. JJ should be shooting alot more fore being a Junior on a D1 team as a starter. I can see Applehans maybe getting the Start for being a good 3 ball shooter and being 6-7 he's skinny right now but I wouldn't be shocked if Coach P and the team puts on muscle in the off season. Allick keeps his spot for production and other reasons and Forsling and Seck is a tough one I would like to see Seck get the start next year personally I see the makings of Aget in him put on 20lbs over the year and we have 6-11 220 center next year but also Forsling needs speed which Seck has.

Toppin could come in and earn a spot i expect him to fill in alot for Jo next year and Quinton Webb has the Showtime factor same with JHouse, Tru Washington Signing will just fill in Mash's spot and add a bigger guard players a little bit with Dent at 6'2 and Tru at 6'3 . If Jhouse does come back next year I see him avg 25 a night.

Dent avg 12pts

KJ avg 15pts 

Applehans or JJ - 13- 15 pts mostly 3ball shots like Kj

Allick  - Double Double machine 

Seck or Sebastian - 8- 10 points Boards and Blocks ...... same with Q Webb and J House these guys could give us a Showtime factor with an Dunk or Blocks when they need too We would avg 87 Points next season 82 this year with Mash

Ofc this is all My dream season next year but this feels like a good prediction lol Mash could stay but House could go WHO knows 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 3 times by basketball4all

Posted : January 27, 2023 8:27 am
pitwolfNM reacted
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

@brooklyn_esq 

Some Mark Twain quotes come to mind:

1. If you want to change the future, you must change what you’re doing [or not doing] in the present.
  2. Don’t wait. The time is never just right.
  3. The difference between those that succeed and those that fail is, those that succeeded tried.
  4. The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
  5. There are basically two types of people. People who have accomplished things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded. 😉
This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Digital Lobo

Posted : January 27, 2023 10:47 am
abqpianist reacted
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @altakaia

Am rooting for both House and Mashburn to make it to the NBA. If they lead our team to the NCAA Final-4 this season

Sorry to burst your bubble, but we don't have the depth up front to get to the final four nor any team in our conference.  You need at least 4 Udeze/Allick types up front to withstand any foul trouble that can pop up in any particular single game.  No team in our league has that.  

NV and BSU took us to the wire, so are they also final four contenders?  What about SUDS that leads the league?  I do think we are a legitimate top 20-35 team in the country though and that is saying quite a bit.

Yes, we are really good this year and have taken a huge step up from last year.  However, if we even win 1 or 2 games in the tournament, it will be a HUGE success in my book and a Sweet 16 would clearly be a HUGE step for our program.  

To put this in perspective, as good as SUDS has been under Dutcher when he took over in 2017, they have not yet won an NCAA Tournament game and even the best teams with him and fisher and Khawi Leornard on the team, the deepest they got was the Sweet 16.  

Steph Curry took his Davidson team to an Elite 8.  Ja Morant who had a triple double in the 1st round of the tourney, could not get his Murray State team to the Sweet 16.  The tourney is where every team gets tested to the max and is the elite of the elite.

Hell, if get to the Sweet 16+, you may have to worry more about RP getting a huge multi-million dollar offer somewhere?

Posted : January 27, 2023 11:31 am
pitwolfNM
(@pitwolfnm)
Trusted Member

@basketball4all good post! curious, i've been seeing Applehans mentions on here recently regarding expectations for him next year. it seems the consensus is he'll step in and be impactful. i haven't seen it yet this year (i know he's out with a thumb injury now, but i'm referring to before the injury when he would come in for a few minutes here and there). was he doing really well in practice? was he lights out in high school? i don't know much about him at this point, so just trying to understand where the expectations are coming from.

Posted : January 27, 2023 11:57 am
pitwolfNM
(@pitwolfnm)
Trusted Member

@txlobo95 i thought the same. but love the optimism! for our Bo's to make the second weekend would be a dream come true for a lot of us. thats what i want to see.

Posted : January 27, 2023 11:59 am
Lobodawg92 reacted
(@3-0)
Prominent Member

One thing I've noticed is about Q Webb.  He's always behind the bench during timeouts, but is parked dead center of the huddle and is intently following along.  It would be easy to tune out if you know you aren't playing, but he does not.

Posted : January 27, 2023 12:45 pm
JulieG, howler and abqpianist reacted
Altakaia
(@altakaia)
Noble Member

Posted by: @txlobo95

Posted by: @altakaia

Am rooting for both House and Mashburn to make it to the NBA. If they lead our team to the NCAA Final-4 this season

Sorry to burst your bubble, but we don't have the depth up front to get to the final four nor any team in our conference.  You need at least 4 Udeze/Allick types up front to withstand any foul trouble that can pop up in any particular single game.  No team in our league has that.   

Perhaps we should look at the rosters and stats of all top 30 teams nationally to see how many have at least 4 Udeze/Allick types. It might not be very many. I think some Big 12 and SEC teams may have them. In any case, it's hard for college basketball teams to have that much front court depth these days. There isn't a clear cut dominant team in college basketball this year. Some national media types feel the road to the NCAA championship is fairly wide open. The Lobos 3 losses were all decided in the final minute. Listened to Mashburn on the instagram and he mentioned he feels the team can compete with any team in the country. Our team's weaknesses currently are missed defensive assignments at times/over helping, and lack of ball movement on offense at times. I want to see if the team improves in these areas or shores things up. Pitino acknowledges the weaknesses and is working on it. Let's see how our team does between now and March 11th and if they improve and become polished with their game. Then re-assess the potential. The Lobos could very well lose their first NCAAT game, or they could win 6. I wouldn't place a limitation on them at this point. It is fascinating how most of us Lair members including myself underestimated the team at the beginning of the season, and pretty much at every turn since. We are often conditioned to think the worst. It will be interesting to see if the "destiny component" that was discussed previously is in play (40th anniversary of a team by the name of the "Wolfpack" who won the NCAA championship on the Pit floor). In other words, there may be something spiritual and answered prayers going on with this Lobos season. It may not be all about basketball in the end. Just keep that in mind. In any case, we are all looking forward to the rest of the season and to see how it plays out. And good job with your critical thinking as always.

Posted : January 27, 2023 12:53 pm
pitwolfNM reacted
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @pitwolfnm

@txlobo95 i thought the same. but love the optimism! for our Bo's to make the second weekend would be a dream come true for a lot of us. thats what i want to see.

Oh yeah, I love optimism as much as the next guy, but also want to focus on what is very realistic goal.  IMO, the goal of winning 1 NCAA game and potentially 2, would be an incredible goal IMO.  However, once you are there, who knows what teams you may face or possible upsets that occurred that give you a better match-up?    Wichita St, Gonzaga, Butler, George Mason all broke through on dreams runs, so you just never know?

The MWC has had 6 total teams make it to the Sweet 16 since the formation of the conference, as far as I can tell and none to the Elite 8?  Heck, just winning the 1st game will put us in rare company in the MWC.  However, since 1996, UNM is now 6-3 in first round NCAA Tournament games.  The only losses in those 9 first round games were Villanova under Ritchie, Harvard under Alford and Stanford under Neal.

The WAC just prior to the formation of the MWC, did actually have Utah, under Majerus, make it to the championship game against UK in 1998.  Utah also made the Elite 8 in 1997.

From this article, they list BYU - 2011, SUDS - 2011 & 2014, and NV in 2018.  Utah made it in 2005 and UNLV also made it in 2007 and those may have been the only teams prior to 2011 to make the Sweet 16.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNLV_Runnin%27_Rebels_basketball

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Utes_men%27s_basketball

That's 6 times in 23 years?  First MWC MBB Season would have been 1998-99.

In 2020, we had 2 teams that "could" have made it potentially.  Barring a SUDS collapse, they likely would have made it on 2020.

In 2011, we had several ranked teams in the Top 25, so the competition level was really good in conf and prepared those 2 S16 teams to advance.

I do think due to the very competitive nature of the MWC this year, with 5 teams in the top 36 NET and 9 teams inside the top 150 and 2 teams between 150-200, it "should" prepare teams for the rigors of March Madness.

Yes, I do believe this year, we "should" have multiple teams advancing on Day 1, and I would hope at least 1 or 2 getting to the Sweet 16.  Can that be us?  Why Not?

Posted : January 27, 2023 2:49 pm
pitwolfNM reacted
Page 1 / 2