Forum

I finally put my sm...

Notifications
Clear all

I finally put my small amount of $ where my mouth is . . .

21 Posts
8 Users
54 Likes
Desert_Wolf
(@desert_wolf)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Too bad the amount I donate is not as big as my foot that I insert in my mouth all too frequently but see my tweet below.

@BrooklynEsq Hey #Lobos I now donate a small $ to 505SVF even if I go from paycheck-to-paycheck there is no reason the rest of #LoboNation can't do the same and make it a group effort. Kurt has made sense but I didn't think a small $ would help but if we band they will do more

Posted : March 18, 2023 8:17 pm
LaVidaLobo, catherine, BrutusXXX and 3 people reacted
Martin
(@martin)
Noble Member

Huh? That's a hard post and tweet to read.

Posted : March 18, 2023 8:21 pm
Desert_Wolf
(@desert_wolf)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Only allowed so much text in a tweet

Simple - I will translate lol 

I am doing a monthly donation to our NIL team

i can't afford much, but if more people do the same, just think.

If all the people who yearn for difference making players to come here, its not going to happen unless we can offer a completive package.  If we provide funds to the 505SVF.Org - they can do more to work with those that can donate the bigger$$$ to put those completive packages together.  As the saying goes Money Talks and you now what walks.

I just wish I could do more

If they were  as many people that donate that  constantly complain about this or that . . .  well you can figure out what i am saying

Posted : March 18, 2023 8:30 pm
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

Translation: (At least as I interpret it) DW is not exactly rolling in cash like Daddy Warbucks. However, he sees the value in what the 505 SVA is doing for Lobo athletics and he’s found some wiggle room in his budget to contribute what he can. Kurt, the Lair site owner and the main brains behind 505 SVA let DW know that he appreciates his contribution towards the Lobo NIL fund and if more Lobo fans give what they can afford we can one day and once again be Dancing in March 💃 🕺🏽 and Bowling in December. 🎳

Posted : March 18, 2023 8:38 pm
Desert_Wolf reacted
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

@desert_wolf - I get what you’re saying and I am doing the same and I hope others will look into their financials to see if it’s something that they can do as well.

For example, do you really need that many streaming subscriptions that you probably don’t have enough time to watch? Maybe you can cancel one or more of those subscriptions and contribute that money to 505 SVA.

That is just one small example, but I think that most people are wasting money on something or another that they can put towards a higher purpose. And if you can’t find your way towards a recurring contribution, maybe you can do so on an occasional basis. If enough of us pitch in it can make a huge difference. Otherwise, our competition may leave us in the dust.

Posted : March 18, 2023 8:47 pm
Desert_Wolf reacted
brooklyn_esq
(@brooklyn_esq)
Illustrious Member Admin

No donation is too small. All are greatly appreciated. 220k attended games in the Pit where a bottle of water is $5.37. If every ticket buyer…….

Posted : March 18, 2023 8:49 pm
LaVidaLobo, catherine, EPluribusUNM and 3 people reacted
(@loboss)
Noble Member

I'm sorry but I've read all the posts, looked at the literature, and seen the videos and all that is actually said is that 505 connects athletes and NIL sponsors and provides tax and financial advice to athletes.  I have not seen or heard anything to the effect that donations to 505 provide NIL funding to athletes.  Also there does not seem to be a mechanism to provide transparency on what exactly donations pay for.  All this can be easily written down and provided and not reliant on individual phone calls.

I'm sure the 505 is 100%  clean and honest but I still don't get it.  Write it down.

Posted : March 18, 2023 8:54 pm
Desert_Wolf
(@desert_wolf)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@digital-lobo 

I still can have my occasional IPA's - Hoppy or Hazy 

I still will be able to have my tailgating Cigar or two

I still can do my Lobo Club Donations monthly

I still have my radio recording and editing abelites for pre and post game

I still have the abilities to do what I do on the 6th

I mean there are some things I just can't do without lol

Posted : March 18, 2023 8:56 pm
Digital Lobo reacted
Romero
(@Romero)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @loboss

I'm sorry but I've read all the posts, looked at the literature, and seen the videos and all that is actually said is that 505 connects athletes and NIL sponsors and provides tax and financial advice to athletes.  I have not seen or heard anything to the effect that donations to 505 provide NIL funding to athletes.  Also there does not seem to be a mechanism to provide transparency on what exactly donations pay for.  All this can be easily written down and provided and not reliant on individual phone calls.

I'm sure the 505 is 100%  clean and honest but I still don't get it.  Write it down.

Did your grandma write down her secret recipes for all the world to copy? Absolutely not. 

Do I know the inner-workings of electricity? No! I know I pay my bill and flip my switch.

Do I understand the way that every dollar is spent or put to work when I go to Costco? Nope

Do I understand the way Kurt and SVF505 are making things happen? Nope. What I do know is that he cares. I see the way the players and coaches respect him. I see that the University has endorsed them. And, in my limited interactions with the players, they’ve all mentioned him as being instrumental in them being here. So for me, that’s worth my $25 a month that I send to them. 

Posted : March 18, 2023 9:27 pm
LaVidaLobo, catherine, Altakaia and 5 people reacted
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

@loboss

Read this link and then apply some common sense.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-college-athletes-are-getting-paid-from-nil-endorsement-deals-2021-12?amp

Namely, if other universities are paying student athletes directly and UNM is not how are we still getting them to come here and stay here when they can simply go elsewhere and get paid through NIL??

This post was modified 1 week ago by Digital Lobo

Posted : March 18, 2023 10:44 pm
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

@desert_wolf 

That’s a huge relief. I was getting nervous that you could no longer afford Cuban Cohiba cigars and were forced to settle for Dutch Masters.

Posted : March 18, 2023 10:51 pm
Desert_Wolf reacted
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @brooklyn_esq

No donation is too small. All are greatly appreciated. 220k attended games in the Pit where a bottle of water is $5.37. If every ticket buyer…….

For those with a broken abacus that equates to $1,181,400.   💰💸💵🤑👀

Posted : March 18, 2023 11:00 pm
Desert_Wolf reacted
Desert_Wolf
(@desert_wolf)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @digital-lobo

@desert_wolf 

That’s a huge relief. I was getting nervous that you could no longer afford Cuban Cohiba cigars and were forced to settle for Dutch Masters.

I fall in the middle.  Can't afford Cubans on a regular basis, but have aa few over the years.  But its a hard pass on Dutch Masters lol.

But hey brooklyn_esq if you ever have any you'd like to donate . . . 

Also the other reason I trust brooklyn_esq he is the only one that gets and understands when I integrate a Grateful Dead quote into one of my posts and he can reciprocate no problem. Think about how he has adopted this team since the day he rolled in to town

Posted : March 19, 2023 9:18 am
zygote and Digital Lobo reacted
brooklyn_esq
(@brooklyn_esq)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @desert_wolf

Posted by: @digital-lobo

@desert_wolf 

I fall in the middle.  Can't afford Cubans on a regular basis, but have aa few over the years.  But its a hard pass on Dutch Masters lol.

But hey brooklyn_esq if you ever have any you'd like to donate . . . 

Also the other reason I trust brooklyn_esq he is the only one that gets and understands when I integrate a Grateful Dead quote into one of my posts and he can reciprocate no problem. Think about how he has adopted this team since the day he rolled in to town

“Rolled” into town August 1973, soon to be the 50th anniversary. Lots of water under that bridge.

Day after Thanksgiving that year did front row at El Paso Coliseum which later resulted in chance meeting at Holiday Inn with Jerome John Garcia.  Great story from access to sound check to Sunday night in El Diablo stadium. Now I have to go meet a man about a 6:9 horse. 

Posted : March 19, 2023 10:05 am
Desert_Wolf, catherine, BrutusXXX and 2 people reacted
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @brooklyn_esq

I have to go meet a man about a 6:9 horse. 

Intriguing. Can that horse get up and down the court, rebound and make free throws at a reasonable clip? Just asking for a friend.

Posted : March 19, 2023 10:29 am
BrutusXXX reacted
loborick
(@loborick)

I'm donating $25 a month.  Not a big amount, but if everyone here did that, it would have a huge effect.  If you want to get and keep elite players, we need this.

Posted : March 19, 2023 12:32 pm
LaVidaLobo and BrutusXXX reacted
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

@loborick -Same here and I will double it after 12 months and it’s likely that I will double it again 12 months after that.

Posted : March 19, 2023 6:17 pm
catherine and loborick reacted
Desert_Wolf
(@desert_wolf)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ok - so we can't afford the $$ to compete NILwise with the Power 5 conferences, but wouldn't it be nice for Coach Pitino to make remarks like this about our guys.  If you can't be in the upper echelon of our conference and the likes of the WAC, A10, MVC, WCC and the likes - we will lose recruits and possibly players we already have in the future.  Regardless if you agree with the NIL or not, it is here to stay.  We need to bond together to make a difference.

https://youtu.be/RcJ0v0H99r4

Posted : March 19, 2023 7:35 pm
brooklyn_esq
(@brooklyn_esq)
Illustrious Member Admin

Want to say thanks to all those contributing. We had 11 new folks sign up with recurring payments since Thursday.

We are just starting, and our efforts will continue to make UNM an attractive destination for student athletes.

Posted : March 19, 2023 9:36 pm
Digital Lobo, BrutusXXX, Desert_Wolf and 1 people reacted
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

@desert_wolf 

That’sa a one spicy slice of 🍕

I suspect that we have a lot of Lobo fans that afford at least $25 a month for 505 SVA and if not that amount, how about $15, $10 or even $5 a month?

Let’s do this thang!!!

Posted : March 19, 2023 9:42 pm
Golobosguy
(@golobosguy)
Famed Member

I met the guy who runs the SDSU NIL program a couple of weeks ago at the MWC Tourney and he confirmed that 505SVF is doing a great job.  Very complimentary.

Posted : March 20, 2023 11:37 am