Air Force a trap game?

45 Posts
21 Users
77 Likes
Lobo_Dreamer
(@lobo_dreamer)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Lobos should easily win.  Coming off an emotional double OT loss to the comfy confines of the Pit against AF could be a bit of a trap game.  Focus on the task at hand, pummel the fly boys from the onset - do not give them any hope.

Posted : January 25, 2023 7:05 am
timvracer
(@timvracer)
Famed Member

I think we destroy them mercilessly 

This post was modified 6 days ago by timvracer

Posted : January 25, 2023 8:26 am
txlobo95, abqpianist, motaglos and 1 people reacted
Riches6
(@riches6)
Illustrious Member

Definitely not a trap game.  Everyone is ticked.

Posted : January 25, 2023 8:29 am
Scott, zygote, abqpianist and 1 people reacted
Welcome2ThePit
(@welcome2thepit)
Famed Member

It should be a trap game... for them. Anything less than complete destruction should be a disappointment.

Posted : January 25, 2023 9:25 am
zygote reacted
Miguelnavida
(@Miguelnavida)
Noble Member

If we had escaped Reno with a W I would be more worried about it.  Now I think the team will come out and make a statement instead.

Posted : January 25, 2023 9:27 am
txlobo95, abqpianist, LoboBear and 2 people reacted
LoboMike
(@lobomike)

AF lost by 30 at SJSU last night. Can't see them faring much better in the Pit.

Posted : January 25, 2023 9:59 am
Lobo_Dreamer
(@lobo_dreamer)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I appreciate all the responses - and as I initially stated, I do think Lobos will easily win.  Go Lobos!

Posted : January 25, 2023 10:23 am
Remus Lupin
(@remus-lupin)
Noble Member

I don't believe this team is capable of having a trap game. Pitino seems to be serious about the one game at a time philosophy.

Posted : January 25, 2023 10:53 am
txlobo95, buddy love, Lobo_Dreamer and 4 people reacted
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Illustrious Member

I'm guessing that the players will be ready but my concern is US, the fans.  After that tough loss at Nev. and obvious soon to fall out of AP Top 25 and its against AF (perceived lesser team) on a Friday night, will we show up both in numbers and effort - are WE bandwagoneers or "real" fans.  We want the team to "show up ready to go" - will we?   

Posted : January 25, 2023 10:57 am
Scott, wolf1960, Remus Lupin and 2 people reacted
datildame
(@datildame)
Noble Member

@doublealum My sister, nephew and I will be going to our first Pit game this season.  I live further away now but will be up for 3 games starting this Friday.  So that is 3 more!!  Looking forward to being in the Pit.  Been too long.  I am not a Datildame anymore but live in Hillsboro!  Hillsborodame doesn't have the same ring to it.

Posted : January 25, 2023 12:09 pm
hunterig, txlobo95, lobofan13 and 7 people reacted
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @datildame

@doublealum My sister, nephew and I will be going to our first Pit game this season.  I live further away now but will be up for 3 games starting this Friday.  So that is 3 more!!  Looking forward to being in the Pit.  Been too long.  I am not a Datildame anymore but live in Hillsboro!  Hillsborodame doesn't have the same ring to it.

Great! BTW, Hillsborough is such a great place - hope you are enjoying it and Gooooooooooo Lobos!

Posted : January 25, 2023 12:39 pm
LoboBear
(@lobobear)
Famed Member

Posted by: @doublealum

I'm guessing that the players will be ready but my concern is US, the fans.  After that tough loss at Nev. and obvious soon to fall out of AP Top 25 and its against AF (perceived lesser team) on a Friday night, will we show up both in numbers and effort - are WE bandwagoneers or "real" fans.  We want the team to "show up ready to go" - will we?   

Yeah, I hear you.

I think getting 13,000+ in the building will be doable. It won't sell-out or anything but yeah, hopefully the fans remain energized and ready to support and back this team up on Friday night like they did against Boise State last Friday night.

Posted : January 25, 2023 1:06 pm
zygote
(@zygote)
Famed Member

I'm looking for Safi Fino-A-Laself to score in double figures.  That would only mean good things.

Posted : January 25, 2023 1:13 pm
Scott, JulieG and LoboBear reacted
JulieG
(@julieg)
Illustrious Member Admin Registered

@datildame Keep it a secret! So few people get over on the west side they might not know you left☺️

Posted : January 25, 2023 1:53 pm
timvracer
(@timvracer)
Famed Member

I was at the SJSU game, and it was just a matter of sheer size and domination in the paint.  The team of course worked all week on stopping the back door.  It was a fun game!  Out rebounded the zoomers 37-21

We should crush them... Feed the big guys!

Posted : January 25, 2023 6:11 pm
RENOLOBO
(@renolobo)

Where is Hillsboro?

Posted : January 25, 2023 6:49 pm
ThreePointShot
(@threepointshot)
Famed Member

I think the Lobos will be loaded for bear. They're ticked off about the Nevada game and I think they'll take it out on Air Force. No way they look past them.

Posted : January 25, 2023 7:21 pm
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @remus-lupin

I don't believe this team is capable of having a trap game. Pitino seems to be serious about the one game at a time philosophy.

[Cough, cough] Fresno State.

[Cough, cough] UNLV.

Posted : January 25, 2023 7:46 pm
JulieG
(@julieg)
Illustrious Member Admin Registered

@renolobo sort of between T or C and Hatch towards Silver City. Not much on the way to anywhere though. Really pretty country though.

Posted : January 25, 2023 10:30 pm
Scott and wolf1960 reacted
LoboInSF
(@loboinsf)
Honorable Member

I don't think there's such a thing as a trap game in conference this year. Every team from top to bottom has to be taken seriously and any team could beat any other team on any given night. The conference is probably the strongest that it has been in forever and there really isn't an issue  of the cellar dwellers in the conference being really bad this year (Wyoming is only where it's at because of injury and will be tough once it is at full strength again). You gotta be prepared to bring your "A" game whether you're playing SDSU or Fresno State this year. If a team at the top of the conference gets beat by a team at the bottom of the conference I don't think it's attributable to the trap game theory this year and is just a matter of the better team that night won.  

Posted : January 25, 2023 11:18 pm
hunterig and Servehim reacted
Altakaia
(@altakaia)
Noble Member

Posted by: @digital-lobo

Posted by: @remus-lupin

[Cough, cough] Fresno State.

[Cough, cough] UNLV.

A trap game has not occurred for the Lobos, and probably won't given the intensity level they play at, and the one game at a time approach. The loss at Fresno St was due to us missing a key player. The loss vs UNLV was due to UNLV playing great combined with some missed defensive assignments on our part. Neither loss was due to lack of effort or our team not getting up for the opponent.

The media invented the term 'trap game' once upon a time as a way to describe a team not taking their next opponent seriously. So now every time a team loses to an inferior opponent, the media and fans like to jump in and proclaim 'trap game' because it's sexy, fanciful & self righteous to do so. Linguistically and technically speaking, there is no such thing as a trap game. Whether it's at the college or pro level, you'll never hear a coach or an athlete use the term 'trap game' because that concept is a farce in the context of athletic competition and they know that.   

Posted : January 25, 2023 11:38 pm
Scott reacted
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

@altakaia 

Trap game meaning:

A trap game is defined in a variety of ways, but it essentially boils down to a high-ranked team playing in a game that everyone expects them to win against a far lesser opponent (not necessarily a losing a losing team).”

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-biggest-trap-games-top-10-college-football-teams#:~:text=A%20trap%20game%20is%20defined,not%20necessarily%20a%20losing%20team).

Posted : January 26, 2023 9:15 am
Lobo_Dreamer reacted
ltcpilot
(@ltcpilot)
Trusted Member

Hope for a good game with no injuries. Interesting to see what AF team shows up and how we handle your bigs especially the weight of your bigs F+C.

GO FALCONS 

Posted : January 26, 2023 10:06 am
JulieG and Digital Lobo reacted
wolf1960
(@wolf1960)

@datildame  hello datildame glad you are going to the Pit cheer the Lobos to a win and have a GAUD time, if you talk to Burro tell him hello.      GO Lobos

Posted : January 26, 2023 10:42 am
LoboInSF
(@loboinsf)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @ltcpilot

Hope for a good game with no injuries. Interesting to see what AF team shows up and how we handle your bigs especially the weight of your bigs F+C.

GO FALCONS 

Are you calling Udeze & Allick fat? 😜 

Posted : January 26, 2023 10:58 am
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

@wolf1960 

If I’m not mistaken, which I don’t believe I am, burro lobo has sadly passed away. RIP.

Posted : January 26, 2023 11:45 am
JulieG reacted
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Illustrious Member

Great that Datildame will be in the Pit - now no way to lose.

Posted : January 26, 2023 11:52 am
JulieG and abqpianist reacted
Miguelnavida
(@Miguelnavida)
Noble Member

Posted by: @digital-lobo

@altakaia 

Trap game meaning:

A trap game is defined in a variety of ways, but it essentially boils down to a high-ranked team playing in a game that everyone expects them to win against a far lesser opponent (not necessarily a losing a losing team).”

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-biggest-trap-games-top-10-college-football-teams#:~:text=A%20trap%20game%20is%20defined,not%20necessarily%20a%20losing%20team).

Yes if you use a broad definition like that there are a lot of trap games, but the way most people use it is to refer to a team being overlooked that upsets a team, and in that case I’d say only Fresno State was a trap game because everyone thought the hard part of that road trip was over.

UNLV looks bad in hindsight but they only had two losses to good teams at that point and had beaten ranked opponents so I think everyone thought it would be a hard game.

Posted : January 26, 2023 12:02 pm
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

@Miguelnavida 

Just me, but I’ve long looked at a trap game as one in which the favored team may potentially lose to an underdog, which is clearly what did happen in the FSU and UNLV games since the Lobos were favored in both games.

This post was modified 5 days ago by Digital Lobo

Posted : January 26, 2023 12:18 pm
Lobo_Dreamer reacted
Niño Lobo
(@nino-lobo)
Reputable Member

A trap game is a game played against an opponent generally deemed to be easy to defeat. As a result a person or team may not prepare as thoroughly as they would for a formidable opponent. Often this attitude and its attended lack of preparation lead to a loss.
Under this definition I don't think this is a trap game. Coach will have this team prepared to open a can of whoop a$$ after that Nevada game. #Golobos #19-3 

This post was modified 5 days ago by Niño Lobo

Posted : January 26, 2023 12:31 pm
Page 1 / 2