Arizona State GCU game

10 Posts
5 Users
13 Likes
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Grand Canyon lost to ASU last night 80-72 in a full arena of mostly loud students (6000+). It was like a Pit game 20 years ago. The shorter, aggressive Antelopes were ahead by 10 late in the 3rd quarter before going cold and giving up a 15-0 run. Free throws were the difference.

We beat them last year in the WNIT. But they have a lot of new players. We should try to schedule a home and home with them the next two years. They are well-coached and play a similar style as us. It would be a good regional replacement for UTEP.

https://gculopes.com/news/2022/11/30/womens-basketball-grand-canyon-arizona-state-game-recap.aspx

Posted : December 1, 2022 10:37 am
Lobo2x53, redrum, txlobo95 and 1 people reacted
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Illustrious Member Admin

GC is also a nice road trip.  Not far, and Flagstaff is a nice place.

Posted : December 1, 2022 7:15 pm
redrum reacted
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Despite its name, GC is in Phoenix. Still, only a 7 hour drive. Northern Arizona is in Flagstaff.

Posted : December 1, 2022 8:01 pm
Lobo2x53 and redrum reacted
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Illustrious Member Admin

OK, so still a drivable road trip, though Phoenix is not as nice as Flagstaff.  I'd still be happy with it.  🙂

Posted : December 1, 2022 11:14 pm
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Illustrious Member

I think this is the 2nd year for their new coach, maybe third.  I know South Dakota WBB fans wanted her to replace Dawn Plitzuweit when she went to West Virginia but she was in her first year of GC.  They always seem to get good coaches for their WBB program.  Colo St's Williams, Nebraska's Williams (not kin to Colo St Williams) their last three coaches, not counting their present coach.  Molly Miller, GC.s present coach has a winning % of 86.6%.  While at Drury she went 220 wins 34 loses.  Miller likes a high-pressure defense and up-tempo offense.

Posted : December 2, 2022 2:55 pm
String Music reacted
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Illustrious Member

I'd like to see their half court and full court press in every game, off and on randomly, as well as when they get in trouble.

Posted : December 2, 2022 3:00 pm
txlobo95 reacted
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @nmsutoo

I'd like to see their half court and full court press in every game, off and on randomly, as well as when they get in trouble.

That would be ideal, even if we have a lead.  

One thing i noticed in the Commerce game, we allowed them to stay in base defense almost the entire game, which made it easier to defend.

Conversely, if you keep switching up your defenses, they will have a hard time running their base offense.

Just like a pitcher mixing up the heater, curveball, slider, and off-speed pitch, we should mix up our defenses, keeping them off balance.

Posted : December 2, 2022 3:11 pm
nmsutoo and nexrad reacted
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

GCU was leading the nation in steals before the game (>18). Pressure defense is fun to watch when it works. But your defensive efficiency suffers when you give up too many FTs. 

Posted : December 2, 2022 3:54 pm
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Interestingly, GCU's average attendance was under 1000 last year.  There could have been some ASU fans in the crowd. But the courtside seats appeared to be GCU students. Wonder if the crowds will continue to grow in Miller's third season?

The nice thing about selling all seats general admission for $5 (at GCU) is they don't have fans scattered all over the arena. If UNM would do that, we would have a much tougher environment for U of A on Sunday.

Posted : December 2, 2022 4:11 pm
Lobo2x53 and nmsutoo reacted
LoboBear
(@lobobear)
Famed Member

Posted by: @string-music

Interestingly, GCU's average attendance was under 1000 last year.  There could have been some ASU fans in the crowd. But the courtside seats appeared to be GCU students. Wonder if the crowds will continue to grow in Miller's third season?

The nice thing about selling all seats general admission for $5 is you don't have fans scattered all over the arena. If UNM would do that, we would have a much tougher environment for U of A on Sunday.

Hmmm. Interesting.

I do believe that UNM allows fans at the women's games to move down closer to the court for the 2nd half of games. I sometimes hear them announce this during halftime "the halftime slide" or whatever they call it. You propose an interesting idea, though.

Posted : December 2, 2022 6:25 pm